Hello Kitty Must Die {BOOK REVIEW}

02:32

Hello Kitty Must Die by Angela S. Choi
Book review by Sami



*Disclaimer: I just want to point it out there, this is my first ever book review on a book, so if I have missed anything, or I haven't provided enough detail to what book reviews usually contain, I am so so sorry! I will try my best and hope I don't disappoint :) Here we go!

The story tells us the life of the protagonist, Fiona Yu, or more commonly referred to as “Fi”, an Asian American corporate lawyer in her late twenties. Fi takes the reader with her on her journey to defy this “Hello Kitty” standard she was raised to be – in other words, passive, obedient, quiet, somewhat like the actual Hello Kitty character, as her parents continue to set Fi up with countless dates in hopes she would marry and bring the family “honour”. On her journey to trying to defy Hello Kitty, she encounters an old best friend named Sean, who helps her embark on this defying Hello Kitty journey, but not in a way we would expect it. Sean is far from your typical Prince Charming, maybe a little like fairy Godmother that supplies roofies and death for her escapes. I guess that’s a way to describe their relationship.

I really enjoyed this book because it was funny, dark and totally relatable, just as the San Francisco Chronicle described it, sort of. What attracted me to pick this book up was the odd title. Hello Kitty Must Die. Hello Kitty must what? I thought to myself. An innocent character that can't speak needs to what?! The strange arrangement of words in that sentence was already a sign for me pick it up. The Asian traditions mentioned in the book and the expectations of an Asian girl that Fi portrayed to the readers made me think about my own parents and how I was able to draw similarities between Fi’s parents and mine. It also made me think about how the Asian community tend to expect girls to be quiet and obedient, and how I am the complete opposite, haha. I guess you can say this made the book more real for me. The story does a good job at manipulating the reader's feelings, making us frustrated when Fi's frustrated, making us feel relieved when Fi's relieved and so on. I feel that a book is truly a good book when the novel can play on your feelings and make you feel with the characters feel, otherwise, you're just reading a "plank of wood", as they say. Though the book was somewhat predictable as the series of events went on, it was an enjoyable read that I could not put down (with the exceptions of having to do chores, and eating and sleeping).

I would give this book a 4 out of 5 stars, and would recommend to anyone who likes short and dark humour novels.

★    

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Instagram

testing